32 acres of mature forest non-ALR land with zoning to permit subdivision into 1 acre lots. 83 acres of prime agricultural land. Combined 115 acres situated within a 5-minute drive to downtown Port Alberni or approximately 7 km.
||This is a rare opportunity to purchase a highly desired landholding that has been in the same family for generations. The 83 acre farm portion of the property is comprised of the rich natural soils of the valley floor. It is currently in pastureland, but over generations the farm has been used for livestock, food production and haying. This portion of the property has a 2,400 ft2 residence, large barn and many outbuildings to support farming operations.
The additional 32 acre area outside of the ALR is heavily forested in mature timber. This area of the property is ideal for residential development and has a current zoning to permit further subdivision of the lands into 1 acre lots. There are two community water systems nearby which are available for connections to service the development with water. Sewer will be independent septic field systems. In addition, there are two ways to access this portion of the development, which will create a desirable subdivision layout plan.
Currently there is a Preliminary Layout Approval in place for the subdivision of the property to create two legal titles of land with the ALR portion of the property to be the divide, which provides the future owner much more flexibility with the use and development of the land.
The property has spectacular views of the ocean in Port Alberni Inlet, Mount Klitsa and Mount Arrowsmith, Comox Glacier, as well as the ocean and Alberni Valley.
|Location :||6210 Drinkwater Road - Port Alberni, BC|
|Access :||Contact Listing Agent|
|Investment Features :||Mixed use zoning, timber component, current approved PLA permitting subdivision into 2 parcels. Further subdivision potential of the 32 acre non ALR piece.|
|Recreation :||Hiking, biking, fishing, diving, golfing, kayaking, windsurfing, mountain climbing, swimming, paddle-boarding, kite-boarding, riding all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes and mountain bikes, etc.|
|Area Data :||Located at the head of the Alberni Inlet, Port Alberni lies adjacent to this natural harbour as well as the Somass River. The other end of the inlet is located on Barkley Sound, which includes the Broken Group Islands, considered to be one of the best areas for kayaking in the world. Sproat Lake is located 10 km west of the city, and the valley is guarded by the snow-covered peaks of the Beaufort Range, Mount Arrowsmith and Mount Klitsa, and surrounded by mountains on all sides.
Port Alberni is the gateway to the west coast and a major service centre for local, regional and provincial governments. Currently, the natural resources of the area are taking centre stage again, but in a different way. Port Alberni is in the process of "re developing" itself as a tourism destination. The area's amenities, such as the natural beauty of the area, the opportunities for fishing (both marine and freshwater), its convenience as a jumping-off point for new outdoor recreation and ecotourism activities, such as hiking, kayaking and mountain-biking, all lend themselves to these activities very well.
The community has a new $60 million high-school, North Island College campus, Pacific Coast University for Workplace Health Sciences, a French immersion school, a modern hospital, several senior homes, an amazing parks and recreation infrastructure that is envied by larger communities, and the most affordable real estate on Vancouver Island. The regional airport is being expanded to 5,000 feet of paved runway in order to provide more infrastructure for the aerospace industry.
Kitsuksis Creek, Cherry Creek, Roger Creek and Dry Creek are some of the creeks and ravines that cut through the city to create natural barriers. The hiking trails in these creeks and ravines add tremendously to the quality of life in Port Alberni.
Some of the upcoming possibilities and new developments in Port Alberni that have the potential to make a positive difference to the economic growth of the city include the following:
|History :||Port Alberni was named for Captain Don Pedro de Alberni, a Spanish officer who commanded Fort San Miguel at Nootka Sound on Vancouver Island's west coast from 1790 to 1792.
Before Europeans came, Port Alberni and the West Coast of Vancouver Island was the traditional territory of the Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth Tribal Council. The Nuu-chah-nulth were previously called the Nootka. Many place names in Port Alberni have a Nuu-chah-nulth origin, such as Somass (washing), Kitsuksis (log across mouth of creek), Pacheena (foamy) and Nootka (go around).
In March 1787 Captain Charles William Barkley of the Imperial Eagle explored Barkley Sound, which now bears his name. Captain Barkley travelled with his 17-year-old bride, Frances Barkley, the first European woman to visit what is now British Columbia. Frances Barkley is also the name of one of the two vessels that makes trips down the Alberni Inlet from Port Alberni to Bamfield and Ucluelet. The other vessel, since retired, was the MV Lady Rose.
In 1856 Adam Horne, a Scottish fur trader employed by the Hudson's Bay Company, was directed to locate a land route across Vancouver Island. There were stories that the natives used a trail starting at Qualicum. Adam Horne found this trail leading to the Alberni Valley and it became known as the Horne Lake Trail. Many other settlers used this trail to get to the Alberni Valley.
In 1860 the Anderson Company, a sawmilling company from London, England, took the advice of their Victoria agent, Captain Edward Stamp, and set up a sawmill operation. At the time, the American Civil War prevented the importation of timber from the southern United States. Gilbert Sproat and Edward Stamp transported men and machinery to Port Alberni. They received land grants from Governor James Douglas and started running the Anderson Sawmill at the mouth of the Somass River in August 1861. The first mill in BC was built to export lumber. The original mill failed, but several others were established in the 1880s. Sproat Lake was named after Gilbert Sproat and Stamp Falls and Stamp River were named after Edward Stamp.
In 1862 small-scale placer gold mining took place on China Creek. In the 1890s more gold mining took place along the Alberni Inlet at China Creek and Mineral Creek. Several gold veins were found. Exploration for gold continued over the years with peaks in the 1930s and 1960s.
With ample western red cedar and Douglas fir forests surrounding the valley, the forest industry became the dominant economic force. Large logging operators moved in, namely Bloedel, Stewart and Welch. Sawmills were built at Port Alberni, Great Central Lake and the McLean Mill. By the Second World War plywood mills and a developing pulp industry had started. For the next forty years the forest industry reigned supreme.
|Zoning :||RA2 Acreage Residential District
A2 Rural District (within ALR)
A3 Forest Rural District
Regional District of Alberni-Clayoquot Consolidated Zoning Bylaw.
Additional information can be found on the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District website.
|Legal :||District Lot 24, Alberni District, except the West 10 Chains thereof, and except the Right of Way of the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway Company as said Right of Way is shown on Plan deposited under DD 19321
|Taxes :||$3,047.76 (2019)|
|Boundaries :||Please see mapping section - all boundaries are approximate.|
|Map Reference :||49°17'32.83"N and 124°50'0.76"W|
|Disclaimer :||Buyers should verify any information provided that is important to them to their sole satisfaction. Our best efforts have been made to provide the most current and accurate information from sources believed to be reliable.|